Permanent Lip Colour
Get fuller-looking lips without any fillers!
At Soft Touch Studio, we are thrilled to offer clients the chance to have the perfect sultry pout from morning to night with permanent full lip colour! From correcting asymmetries, adding a soft tone of blush to liven up your lips and making your natural lips look fuller and shapely, permanent lip colour will save you time, money and countless tubes of lipstick.
How Does Permanent Lip Colouring Work?
Also known as “lip blushing” or “lip contouring,” permanent lip colouring is a semi-permanent form of lip tattooing that inserts colour pigments along the borders and inner quadrants of the lips to give the illusion of fuller lips. The lips are lined with pigment and then filled using a specialized gradient effect in order to make lips look multidimensional without looking overdrawn or flat.
How Long Does Lip Colouring Last?
Similar to all forms of semi-permanent cosmetic tattooing, lip colouring is not 100% permanent and will gradually fade over time. Lip colouring can last up to two to three years with no touch-ups required. This is due to Soft Touch Studio’s unique hypoallergenic pigments that are deposited into the upper dermal layer of lip skin. Our technique allows for long-lasting results with a combination of contouring, shading and pixelating pigments. This gives lips a healthy and natural finish that stays looking fresh for a long time.
Please note, although lip colouring does last two to three years on average, lifestyle choices contribute to its longevity. Smoking, sun exposure, over-exfoliating of lips or frequent lip injections may cause the colour pigments to fade more quickly. Please ensure you speak with our lip specialist about specific lifestyle concerns and their impact on your procedure.
What to Expect During Your Procedure
To start, a numbing cream is applied for 20 minutes to ease potential pain during the session. Next Soft Touch Studio’s lip artist, Taiyaba Saleem, will analyze your natural lips to determine if there are any points of asymmetry that should be addressed. An outline of a shape is created on the lips passed on the PhiAcademy golden intersection ratio and face morphology. Once the client is happy with the shape, the actual tattooing begins. The whole procedure takes between two to three hours to ensure colour retention and attention to detail in the shape of the lips.
After your procedure, lips will look swollen and the pigment will look very bright – this is normal! Over the following week, scabbing may occur as lips heal and fade in colour to end with a more natural, make-up worthy hue. After four weeks, the lip colour will have settled in. At the six to eight week mark, clients are scheduled to return to Soft Touch Studio’s Toronto location for a follow-up and touch up session (price included in the initial appointment costs) to “seal in” the look and colour of lips.
Can I Still Wear Makeup Over Permanent Lip Colouring?
Yes! The beauty of permanent lip colour is that you wake up every day with a lipstick look but if you want to change up your style to match your vibe, you can! Clients who have had the procedure should not apply any makeup on their lips until they have fully healed. After two weeks, dust off that lip-gloss for a night out!
What to Avoid Before Your Appointment
For your safety and for the best results possible during your procedure, please ensure that you meet the following requirements:
- No chemical peels one month before or after procedure
- No Botox or lip injections one month before or after the procedure
- No Retinols/Retin-A or other lip plumping serums two weeks before the procedure
- No heavy sweating or exercise on the day of and 48 hours following the procedure
- No tanning or sunburn two weeks prior to the procedure. Minimal exposure to the sun for two weeks following the procedure
- Stop taking blood thinning medication, advil, aspirin, niacin, vitamin E, fish oil, and ibuprofen 48 hours before procedure
- No alcohol or caffeine 24 hours before procedure
Due to the nature of cosmetic tattooing, permanent lip colour is not recommended for those with the following:
- History of frequent cold sores (must obtain medical consent prior to treatment)
- Eczema / Dermatitis / Psoriasis / Rosacea / Shingles/Skin Rashes around the lip area
- Taking acne medication such as Acutane (must wait one year before treatment, please consult regarding the type of acne medication used if unsure)
- Tanned or sunburned skin (must not tan two weeks before or after the treatment)
- Pregnant or nursing
- Prone to keloids or post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation
- Diabetes (must obtain medical consent prior to treatment)
- Chemotherapy (must obtain medical consent prior to treatment)
- Oral Herpes
Failure to disclose any skin/medical conditions or medication may result in a poor outcome. Further touch-ups to improve the results will be at an additional cost or treatment may be declined.